Thursday, February 16, 2012

"The Sensation of Suede..."

I enjoy, um - scratch that - LOVE dancing, much to my teenage daughter's horror, and I have found that most of my clients enjoy it as well.  They want their reception to be fun and the dance floor to be packed until the last song. Until recently, I had steered clients from live entertainment (bands) because they did not have the range of music a DJ does. But, beyond that, the band members often did not see it as they job to emcee the reception. This function is crucial to the success of the event.

More and more of my clients are looking for great bands for their weddings, and I decided it was time to do some research. As we must see these people in action, I strapped on my dancing shoes and went in search of a few good bands.

I'll start with my current favorite...To borrow a line from their site, Suede is a band that is explosive, energetic, and fun. They are a premier variety cover band while also performing some of their own music. They can be seen at a variety of venues not only in Texas as they have recently returned from Ottawa, Canada and have toured with George Lopez.

Their range is extensive, playing songs from the 80's through today's hits, and quite frequently playing them better than the original. And, beyond that, as the music begins the audience flocks to the dance floor and doesn't leave until the band does.

I recently had the opportunity to chat with John Lockhart, Suede's lead guitarist, about his take on weddings.

PasP: John, what is your favorite part of the reception?

JL: My favorite part of the reception is announcing the bride and groom for their first dance. Then I love to watch the parents of the bride and groom watch their children look into each others eyes. It's a magical moment and I always have a unique takeaway. (Note: He also mentioned later that he takes this role of emcee very seriously and only relaxes once that part is finished. Love that!)


PasP: What was your most memorable event?

JL: My most memorable event was a reception at Laguna Gloria in Austin. There was a moment when the bride and groom sneaked away from the rest of the party to the side of the building where our stage was to have a moment just to themselves. The sun was setting and a full moon was rising. I took a picture of them holding each other and enjoying themselves.


PasP: Words to live by?

JL: Treat your marriage like a garden. With a little work on a daily basis it will flourish. Don't sweat the small stuff. Have a financial plan.

Thanks John! By the way, you can check them out at any of the numerous public shows they have lined up (Calendar), BUT you should make an effort to come out to see them at the Glass Cactus with us on my birthday, April 14, 2012. It will be a rockin' night!

No comments: